How To Reset Pc Bios/cmos
Clean first with isopropyl alcohol and a lint free cloth then, in most cases you should, apply a very small amount of thermal compound to the CPU. PCWorld helps you navigate the PC ecosystem to find the products you want and the advice you need to get the job done.
You may have to buy one specific to your model. If it still doesn’t work, plug something else—like a lamp—into the same socket. That will tell you if there’s a problem with the surge protector or the electric outlet.
If your surge protector or power strip is under your desk, check to make sure a wandering toe didn’t turn it off. If you disable this cookie, we will not be able to save your preferences.
- key if your computer was built in 2006 or later (came with Vista or Windows 7).
- If an error occurs or the computer locks up at this point, the default BIOS information has become corrupted.
- If a BIOS update was run on the computer, the values stored in CMOS are reset.
- Enter CMOS setup, re-enter all values, and then save and exit the CMOS setup.
- The computer requires service or a new motherboard.
Not The Answer You’re Looking For? Browse Other Questions Tagged Motherboard Battery Cmos Or Ask Your Own Question.
You might also consider booting with a live Linux disc or flash drive to see if you can access the contents of the drive. If nothing else fixes the problem, consider replacing that. Desktop power supplies are usually cheap and easy to replace yourself. If the cord appears to be fine and the socket works, try replacing the power cord or, in a laptop, the AC adapter.